Archives Policies & Procedures
The following policies and procedures are designed to ensure the wellbeing of our collections.
Research Room Policy
To ensure the wellbeing of our collections, we ask that researchers abide by the following policies during a visit to the Davidson College Archives & Special Collections:
- Researchers must sign in for each visit.
- Researchers may access only one archival box or rare book at a time.
- Researchers must maintain the existing order of records shared with them.
- Researchers may only use pencils when working with original materials. They may also use a camera without the flash.
- Researchers may use only note papers and research materials at work tables. (Briefcases, backpacks, coats, and other items must be left in designated areas.)
- Researchers may not eat or drink in any Archives & Special Collections spaces.
- Researchers must return all materials to the Archives & Special Collections staff when they are finished.
- Researchers assume the full responsibility for conforming with the laws of libel, copyright, and literary property rights when quoting or publishing materials from the Davidson College Archives & Special Collections.
Photograph and Audiovisual Reproduction Policy
Although the majority of the photographs and audiovisual materials in our collections were produced by Davidson College, we do not hold copyright on all of them. For example, we do not hold copyright on donated photographs. Researchers are responsible for obtaining the appropriate permission and are responsible for conforming with the laws of libel, copyright, and literary property rights.
For materials produced by Davidson College, we adhere to the following duplication and use policies:
- Duplicate photographs may be ordered for a fee. We provide photocopy and photo reproduction services, we we reserve the right to restrict reproduction of materials due to condition or donor restrictions. We will retain all negatives created as a result of reproduction.
- When reproducing an item produced by Davidson College, researchers should credit the Davidson College Archives & Special Collections, Davidson, North Carolina.
- We ask that researchers publishing works using materials from our collections donate one copy to the Archives & special Collections, when possible.
Collection Development Policy
The Davidson College Archives & Special Collections - like our Library - acquires, maintains, and preserves materials which advance learning and research, offer engagement with diverse perspectives, and reflect the distinctiveness of our community. In addition, our collections provide object-inspired learning, document local and community history, and maintain the institutional record of the college. These commitments are driven by the library’s enduring values of inclusion, discovery, openness, engagement, and stewardship and by the mission of the Archives, Special Collections, & Community team.
Archivists and librarians on this team manage our collections according to the standards outlined by the Society of American Archivists in their Core Values of Archivists Statement and Code of Ethics and by the Association of College & Research Libraries in their Code of Ethics for Special Collections Librarians.
For more information, see the Davidson College Archives & Special Collections Collection Development Policy.