Reports of Suspected Improper Activities
Faculty, staff or students are encouraged to come forward in good faith with reports or concerns about suspected violations of college policies or illegal practices and may do so without fear of reprisal or retaliation. Any employee or student with a question about the propriety of any practice under the college's policies and procedures should seek guidance from his/her supervisor or the college official who has responsibility for overseeing compliance with the particular policy or procedure.
Any employee or student who becomes aware of or has reason to suspect a violation of college policies or illegal practices should report that violation regardless of whether he/she is personally involved in the matter. Employees or students are encouraged to report any violation to their supervisor or the college official who has responsibility for overseeing compliance with the particular policy or procedure. Any complaint regarding financial misconduct should be directed to the Vice President for Finance and Administration. Reports received by college officials will be handled with as much confidentiality as possible with discretion and regard for the privacy of the reporting individual.
If you wish to remain anonymous
Simply dial toll-free to 866-943-5787. This call will be answered by an operator at Campus Conduct Hotline©, a service provided to the college through our risk management agreement with EIIA, Inc. Because the Hotline is operated by an independent organization, any calls made through this service are completely confidential and anonymous.
You should call the Campus Conduct Hotline© if you observe or experience any activity or behavior that is harmful, unethical, questionable, or causes you or someone else personal injury. This includes fraud or crime, sexual harassment, discrimination, safety or facility risk issues, security and Internet policy abuses, workplace hostility, fraudulent financial or business practices, or any other questionable behavior.
Once you have dialed the toll-free number, here is how the reporting and follow-up processes work:
- Your call will be greeted promptly and courteously by a person who makes certain you understand the Campus Conduct Hotline© program and how it functions. If you prefer to make your report in a language other than English, just let the person who answers know, and they will arrange for a translator to participate.
- At the beginning of the interview, you will be provided with a five digit, randomly generated case number that you should use to check back for updates and requests for additional information. Be sure to write this number down and keep it available
- You will then be interviewed about the question or concern that is on your mind.
- Your interview will not be recorded. Instead, the interviewer will be typing notes of your conversation. Whether or not you choose to provide your name is completely up to you.
- Within one business-day of your call, a summary of the interview will be forwarded to a minimum of two executive staff members at Davidson College. Our goal will be to have a basic response back to you in five business days.
- To receive your response, you will need to call back and provide the five digit case number that has been assigned to you. At that time, you might be asked to provide additional information or to call back at a later date. You will be able to keep checking back for updates until your case is closed. All follow-up calls are answered by a live operator.
- Because of the built-in confidentiality, it is important that you try to be as specific as possible about the information you provide. For example, the operator will need to know that you are calling about Davidson College and the name of the department you work in. And, please be sure to call back in five business days to check to see if any additional information is needed. Alternatively, if you would like someone to contact you directly, you can leave your name along with a phone number where and when you would prefer to be called.
- To repeat, at no time is any caller required to identify himself or herself and all information provided can be completely confidential and anonymous. Please understand that such action should be taken with great seriousness and concern about the consequences.
See also: Conflict of Interest (authentication required)
Questions regarding this policy should be directed to Lori Gaston, director of business services, at 704-894-2210 or email@example.com.