Commitment to Sustainability
Sustainability literacy and efficacy are critical skills for leadership and service in today's world.
As an organization, Davidson College seeks to model sustainability leadership in its campus facilities, grounds, and operations. As an educational institution, Davidson is committed to leveraging the liberal arts tradition to advance understanding of systems impacts in a rapidly changing world.
The Sustainability Office pursues a cross-campus approach to evaluation, project management, communications, programming, and capacity building. The work can be characterized by Kate Raworth's Doughnut of social and planetary boundaries. This model conveys that the pursuit of a "safe and just space for humanity" must consider both 1) an ecologically-informed ceiling to our planet's ability to support life, and 2) a social foundation that ensures foundational components to quality of life for all mankind.
Our world is a dynamic place. Sustainability, then, is not an endpoint.
Rather, it is a thoughtful journey that honors the world we have inherited while seeking a just existence and future for all fellow travelers. As a liberal arts college, Davidson is perfectly suited to engage pressing questions of sustainability.
The Sustainability Office strategically bridges and guides the efforts of students, faculty, staff, and the greater community towards collective, significant impact.
- Build knowledge, values, and skills so students can fully participate in society as justice-oriented citizens
- Cultivate a community of practice so we can develop daily the behaviors and changes we wish to create in the world
- Develop campus facilities that serve as exemplars so others can learn about innovative sustainable systems and design
- Bridge campus, community, teaching, and research to leverage the assets of each in a mutually beneficial manner
- Enhance vocational preparedness so students can translate learning into a lifetime of leadership and service.
Connect with our team and join our commitment to sustainability.
- p: 704-894-3029
433 Concord Rd
Davidson, NC 28035
Davidson College - Sustainability Office
209 Ridge Rd
Davidson, NC 28035