Employment of Minors
Minimum age for employment at Davidson College is 16. North Carolina Child Labor Law requires minors, under 18 years of age, to obtain an employment certificate from the county Director of Social Services prior to beginning work. The minor must submit the certificate to the Human Resources office before beginning employment. The certificate must be retained in the minor's Human Resources file throughout the employment period. At the end of the minor's employment the certificate can be returned to the minor for his or her use in any subsequent employment.
Law prohibits employment of minors in the following occupations:
- Occupations involving explosive components
- Occupations requiring the operation of a motor vehicle as driver or helper
- Occupations involved in the operation of power driven circular saws, band saws, wood working machines, guillotine shears, metal forming, punching or shearing machines
- Occupations involving exposure to radioactive substances
- Occupations involved in the operation of power driven hoisting apparatus
- Occupations involved in wrecking and demolition
- Occupations involved in the operation of bakery machines
- Any occupation found to be particularly hazardous or detrimental to the health or well being of a minor
Such employees shall be eligible for benefits and work premiums in accordance with their work schedule and employment category.
Questions regarding this policy should be directed to Human Resources at 704-894-2213.