The Student Employment Office is housed within the Human Resources Department. The office serves as a liaison between students who want to work and departments that need help.

In a given academic year, Davidson employs approximately 800 students in more than 60 departments. Students work approximately 100,000 hours supporting faculty and staff.

Students are strongly encouraged to consider employment during their time at Davidson. Working on campus enriches your education outside of the classroom and helps build relationships with both faculty and staff. Student employment not only serves as a source of income, but also develops a work ethic, time-management skills, critical thinking, teamwork, and basic professional readiness. In many instances, student employment on campus can help clarify individual career goals.

Employment Eligibility

All students are eligible for on-campus jobs regardless of their financial status. Students receiving Federal Work Study (FWS) awards are given priority over non-FWS students. All students are required to complete specific paperwork prior to starting any job on campus.

Federal Work Study

Federal Work Study (FWS) is a federally subsidized work program that encourages the part-time employment of undergraduates who need the income to help pay for the cost of their education. At Davidson College, students who qualify for FWS through the financial aid process are given priority over non-work study students in securing employment on campus. The priority window begins in mid-July and runs through late August. FWS students apply for jobs through our jobs website called Handshake. Over 80 departments employee students throughout the academic year, including our Center for Civic Engagement which supports service learning by working off-campus with Davidson's community partners in need.

International Students

As an international student, there are some restrictions on your ability to work in the United States. Employment is permitted based on your visa classification or by receiving special permission from the Department of Homeland Security. International students with an F-1 Visa are permitted to work 20 hours/week while classes are in session and 40 hours/week when classes are not in session. For more information, we encourage you to reach out to International Student Programs. This department will support you throughout your time at Davidson.


Human Resources

If you have questions or suggestions, please contact Liz Robinson, assistant director of Human Resources, Student Employment.

Liz Robinson, Human Resources

Business Services

For questions related to payroll or student accounts, please contact Susan Caldwell in Business Services.

Susan Caldwell, Business Services

Financial Aid

For questions relating to Financial Aid, please contact the Financial Aid office.

Financial Aid Office