Information one should consider when developing a grant proposal:

Alterations to Facilities

Projects requiring major modification to existing facilities must be resolved at the departmental level and approved at the administrative level. The Office of Sponsored Programs requires a written cost estimate from the director of the physical plant for any proposed structural modification prior to proposal submission. The cost and feasibility of minor alterations to existing laboratory space should be discussed at the departmental level with input from the director of the physical plant.

Projects requiring space beyond the departmental allocation must be discussed with the department chair and the director of the physical plant and receive approval from the vice president for academic affairs.

Computer Purchases

Computer equipment and peripherals listed on grant budgets will be reviewed by Technology and Innovation (T&I) to ensure that the equipment is suitable for campus computing and compatible with the campus network. Computers that do not meet minimum institutions standards are not guaranteed T&I support.

Curriculum Development

In accordance with the Educational Policy Committee's (EPC) policy on curriculum revision, proposals containing any or all of the following elements of curriculum development are subject to review by the EPC prior to proposal submission:

  1. The establishment of a new course projected to be offered more than once;
  2. A new core, a new major or a new graduation requirement;
  3. Release time for more than one member of the faculty.

It is the faculty member's responsibility to submit the required information to the EPC early in the proposal planning process. Sufficient time should be allowed to address any EPC concerns. Individuals should contact the EPC Chair for specific procedures.


Individuals wishing to include the purchase of major equipment should consult with the department chair well in advance of proposal submission to ensure that adequate space and access will be available and that maintenance and service costs can be absorbed by the department or other designated source. The installation of major equipment requires written approval and a cost estimate from the director of the physical plant. Cost estimates must be received by the Office of Sponsored Programs prior to proposal submission. In accordance with federal regulations and institutional policy, individuals must certify that the proposed equipment is:

  1. Not a duplicate of current equipment;
  2. Necessary for the research supported by the grant;
  3. Not reasonably available and accessible; and
  4. Of the type normally charged as a direct cost.

In the case of computer purchases, the principal investigator or project director should request the most recent faculty computer configuration supported by T&I. Care should be taken to ensure compatibility with existing campus systems.

Equipment Insurance

See details about insurance coverage required for equipment.

Hazardous Waste Management

The control and storage of hazardous waste  is the responsibility of each project director and department generating toxic materials. 

Human Subjects Research

Projects that include a human subjects component must receive formal review and approval from the Institutional Review Board (IRB) prior to proposal submission.

Sabbaticals or Leaves of Absence

Faculty members are encouraged to plan well in advance for sabbaticals and leaves of absence. The College policy is to enable faculty members to avail themselves of as many opportunities for personal and professional development as possible, but this must be combined with planning for stable departmental programs and curriculum.

Faculty eligible for sabbatical leave, assistant professor leave, or planning a leave of absence should carefully review institutional policies and procedures governing these activities. In many cases, externally-funded grants and fellowships do not cover benefits; therefore, it is especially important to determine which college-paid benefits will be covered during leaves.

If a faculty member on a full-year sabbatical or leave with half-salary paid by the college receives an external grant or grants to supplement the salary provided by the college, the faculty member may be paid all normal fringe benefits by the college on the total amount up to, but not exceeding, the equivalent of the regular, full salary for that sabbatical/leave year.