Micro Arts Grant for Independent Creatives (MAGIC)
DACE encourages Davidson creatives to embark on small, flexible art projects that re-immerse them and their communities in the creative process.
Thanks to the generosity of Friends of the Arts, DACE will provide Micro Arts Grants for Independent Creatives (MAGIC) for Davidson students, faculty, and staff.
The MAGIC Grant is intended to be adaptable to applicants’ wide-ranging needs and varying summer schedules. With more flexible guidelines, MAGIC Grants are meant to invigorate Davidson’s creative community to begin projects in various stages of the iterative process.
MAGIC Grants will fund projects in any art genre including (but not limited to) theatre, film, music, dance, visual art, spoken word, and creative writing. Additional details and conditions are as follows:
- Grants must be completed by April 20, 2023
- Grants are open to students of all majors.
- Individual or group projects are accepted.
- Projects may be extracurricular or related to a fall 2023 course.
- MAGIC Grants do not purchase long-term equipment.
- Projects cannot include paying for an outside Davidson professional to come to the college for any reason.
- Awards will be made up to $300 per grant. Students can apply for up to $400 if they plan to present or display their work at the beginning of the fall 2023 semester.
- Applicants will meet with Sherry Nelson, director, and Marquia Humphries, Art and Innovation Fellow, once at the beginning of the summer, and once in the middle of the summer for a creative discussion and progress check-in. Dates TBD.
- Grant recipients will be expected to document their creative process and do an on-campus presentation of the completed project or write a two-page written reflection and submit pictures in a powerpoint to showcase their experience.
- The students who choose to display their project will meet with an art fellow and Marquia Humphries in the fall semester to plan their presentation.
- All projects and lessons will have to be completed before August 28, the first day of fall 2023 classes.
- Student Grants will be distributed through a college project account. Grant recipients are expected to keep receipts and submit them for verification.
- To apply for the grant you must submit this google form by 11:59 p.m., Friday, April 21, 2023.