Students with food allergies and/or specific dietary needs may indicate this on the Incoming Student Medical History and Physical Examination Form submitted to the Student Health Center.
Students may also contact Elizabeth Allred, a registered dietician in the Student Health Center who will facilitate requests for dietary needs with Dining Services.
The following procedures shall be followed as Dining Services implements the Food Allergy Policy.
- Students should bring physician documentation stating the food allergy or food sensitivity, e.g. a physician's prescription or diet prescription filled out on incoming health forms.
- Students and parents will have the opportunity to attend an Allergy 101 session on campus to discuss food allergies, policies and tour the kitchen at Vail Commons.
- The student shall communicate with production staff and dietitian regarding food ingredient questions.
- Students are encouraged at any time during the semester to meet with the college dietitian or Dining Services staff with any concerns.
- For prepared foods items, the student and production staff shall review recipes and/or food labels.
- The production manager or supervisor on duty will assist the student with alternate menu selections as needed.
- For specially prepared food items, the time of pick up will be determined by the production staff.
- As necessary, the production staff prepares food using the following precautions:
- Washing hands and wearing non-latex gloves.
- Using clean pans, knives, utensils and work surfaces.
- Vail Commons Dining Hall offers students the opportunity to store an EpiPen on site if student so desires.