Legal Name Changes to Student Records

A student's name of record at Davidson College is the legal name under which the student was admitted to the college.

Students, former students, or graduates who wish to change their name on their official academic record, should complete a Name and Prefix Change Request Form and submit it to the Registrar's Office with a copy of a State or Federally issued photo ID, such as a passport, driver's license, or permanent resident card showing usage of the requested name.

Individuals without one of these forms of ID may present two of the following documents as evidence for the request: a notarized marriage certificate or divorce decree, a court order documenting a name change, voter registration card, a Social Security card, or bank documents.

At the discretion of the Registrar, minor name changes (e.g. corrected spelling) may be made without additional documentation.

Preferred Name and Prefix Changes to Student Records

No documentation is required to change or add a preferred name or prefix to a student's record. Please complete the Name and Prefix Change Request Form and submit it to the Registrar's Office. Please note there are a variety of systems across campus that contain names. Not all will be updated with this change. You will need to contact individual offices when you see the incorrect name displayed. If not obvious, the Registrar's Office may help determine the correct office to contact. The Controller's Office, for example, uses legal name by default but they will use preferred name upon request.


Description of terms and how they apply to a student record:

  • Preferred First Name: name by which the student prefers to be called. The student's preferred first and last name are listed on course rosters, adviser rosters, Degree Works, Banner Self-Service, and the campus directory.
  • First Name: legal first name
  • Last Name: legal last name
  • Full Legal Name: listed on the academic transcript and diploma

Please call or email our office with any questions at 704-894-2227 or