Planning to study abroad? Your program may require a physical exam and/or vaccines, and you can get both done at the Center for Student Health and Well-Being. Basic physical exams are free and offered by appointment Tuesday through Friday from 1:30 - 4:30 p.m.

Physical Exam

If you need a physical exam prior to studying abroad:

  • Make an appointment at the Center for Student Health and Well-Being as soon as possible, so you do not miss your deadline.
  • Obtain the proper forms/paperwork from your study abroad program, and complete the personal information portion of the form prior to your appointment (name, birthday, health history, etc.).
  • If your program requires a series of shots or a TB test (which takes 48-72 hours to read), plan accordingly and allow enough time to complete them.
  • If your program requires more than a standard physical, such as vision testing, urinalysis, blood work, an EKG, chest x-ray, etc., inform the Center for Student Health and Well-Being staff when you call to make your appointment. You will schedule an additional appointment several days prior to your regular physical, and the nurse will assist you in scheduling an x-ray or EKG at Davidson Family Medicine, if needed. 

Travel Vaccines

Not sure if you need vaccines? Check the Centers for Disease Control recommendations for your area of travel, print them and bring them with you to your appointment. Also bring with you any records of vaccines you may have received after those recorded in your first-year entry forms.

The Center for Student Health and Well-Being stocks meningococcal, tetanus, and Hepatitis A and B vaccines, which can be charged to your tuition bill. Davidson Family Medicine can provide additional travel vaccines, but you must make an appointment at the Center for Student Health and Well-Being first in order to get a vaccine order and avoid an office charge at Davidson Family Medicine.

Note: Typhoid and Yellow Fever vaccines are expensive and have short shelf lives, so if the Center for Student Health and Well-Being physician gives you an order to get either of these at Davidson Family Medicine, you should call the office first (704-892-5454) to make sure the vaccine is available at the time of your appointment.


Davidson Family Medicine will file your insurance claim as a courtesy, but you should be prepared to pay for vaccines, EKGs and chest x-rays at the time of service. The office accepts payment with cash, personal checks, Visa and MasterCard. It does not accept Cat Cards.