Internships & Fellowships
Stapleton/Davidson Urban Service Internship
The 10-week Stapleton/Davidson Urban Service Internship engages a small group of students in full-time community engagement among the people who are impoverished in Charlotte over the summer break.
Interns serve in organizations such as the Urban Ministry Center, which provides meals and services for people experiencing homelessness, Dove's Nest, a residential program for women dealing with substance abuse and addiction, and Crisis Assistance Ministry, a resource center for people in financial crisis.
In addition to their hands-on work in Charlotte, interns meet weekly with the college chaplain and local religious leaders to reflect on issues of social justice, scripture, spirituality and the role of the church in responding to the challenges and nurturing the gifts of people living at the margins of our communities.
- Duration: 10 weeks, May 26 - July 31, 2020
- Provisions: Interns receive $3,500, plus housing
- Application: Apply Online for the Stapleton/Davidson Internship (login required)
- Application Deadline: 5 p.m. on Feb. 7, 2020
Fellowships to explore religious leadership in any tradition are available to students with a strong record of academic achievement, campus leadership, and concern for others.
Juniors are nominated by faculty, staff, and area clergy. Nominees may or may not be considering a religious occupation (as a clergyperson or professional lay leader), but community members perceive them as having gifts for such service. They submit formal applications to the College Chaplain at email@example.com.
Fellows take part in a supervised, congregation-based summer internship after their junior year. During the fall semester of their senior year, they participate as a cohort in vocational discernment guided by the college chaplain.
- Duration: 8 weeks (summer dates are flexible).
- Provisions: $4,000 for the summer, plus funds for vocational exploration during senior year.
- Applications: Nominated students are notified by the College Chaplain and may submit an application towards the beginning of the spring semester of their junior year.
A number of faith-based organizations offer year-long internships for college graduates. These opportunities generally integrate hands-on service, spirituality, simple living in community, and social justice.
- Episcopal Mission Works/Young Adults Service Corps
- Catholic Network of Volunteer Service
- Jesuit Volunteer Corps
- Lutheran Volunteer Corps
- Presbyterian Church Young Adult Volunteers (YAV)
- United Church of Christ / Young Adult Global Ministries
- Evangelical Lutheran Church in America Young Adult Missions
- Mission Year
- The American Jewish World Service (AJWS), World Partners Fellowship
- Avodah, the Jewish Service Corps