Internships & Fellowships
Fellowships to explore religious leadership and service in any tradition are available to students with a strong record of academic achievement, campus leadership, and concern for others.
Juniors are nominated by faculty, staff, and area clergy. Nominees may or may not be considering a religious occupation (as a clergyperson or professional lay leader), but community members perceive them as having gifts for such leadership and service. They submit formal applications to the College Chaplain at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fellows take part in a supervised, congregation-based summer internship after their junior year under the mentorship of a seasoned clergyperson. Early in the fall semester of their senior year, they gather as a cohort with the college chaplain to reflect on what they have learned over the summer about congregational leadership and about their own sense of calling or career direction.
- Duration: 8 weeks (summer dates are flexible).
- Provisions: $4,000 for the summer, plus funds for vocational exploration during senior year.
- Applications: Nominated students are notified by the College Chaplain and may submit an application towards the beginning of the spring semester of their junior year.
Cook Family Summer Fellowship
Cook Family Summer Fellowships are awarded to two Davidson students for self-designed summer internships in non-profit organizations (including churches) that, by wishes of the donors, demonstrate a Christian commitment through their mission statement, their stated goals and objectives, or their embodiment of values that they distinctly associate with Christian faith. The application can be found on the Chaplains' WildcatSync page.
Opportunities for Graduates
A number of faith-based organizations offer year-long internships for college graduates. These opportunities generally integrate hands-on service, spirituality, simple living in community, and social justice.
- American Jewish World Service (AJWS), World Partners Fellowship
- Avodah, the Jewish Service Corps
- Catholic Network of Volunteer Service
- Episcopal Mission Works/Young Adults Service Corps
- Evangelical Lutheran Church in America Young Adult Missions
- Jesuit Volunteer Corps
- Lutheran Volunteer Corps
- Mission Year
- Presbyterian Church Young Adult Volunteers (YAV)
- United Church of Christ / Young Adult Global Ministries