What to Bring
As you plan your packing list for your move to campus, below are some items you may wish to include.
Some are need-to-haves, and some are just nice-to-haves, all to create your home-away-from-home. A list of prohibited items is also shown.
All Davidson residence halls include:
- Rooms with extra-long twin beds (36" x 80"), dressers, desks with desk chairs, and closets or built-in wardrobes for each resident
- Most first-year residence halls have carpeted bedrooms
- Central air conditioning and heating (some have individual room controls)
- Cable TV hook ups in each room
- Wireless internet throughout the building
- Blinds on room windows
- Secure, card-access entry
- Bicycle storage racks outside
Be sure to bring the following items with you or purchase them locally:
- Extra-long twin sheets
- High-Efficiency (HE) laundry detergent, fabric softener, laundry basket, etc.
Many students choose to bring these items or purchase them locally:
- Surge protectors (must have UL labeled on the back). Regular extension cords are prohibited.
- Comforter (for an extra-long twin mattress, 36"x80" and 8" deep)
- Lamp for desk or bedside
- Desktop or laptop computer
- Coffee maker
- Message board for room door
- Mini refrigerator (limit 6 cubic feet, one per room)
- 3M Command removable hanging strips for doors and walls
- Blue painters tape for hanging things on walls
- Small basic tool kit (flathead screwdriver, Phillips head screwdriver, hammer and/or mallet, pliers)
Davidson endorses the Energy Star-rated microfridge, a combination refrigerator/freezer and microwave oven that reduces the use of electricity. Students may purchase or rent a microfridge from Standards for Living and have it delivered to their room on campus.
In addition to the items listed above, the following items are allowed in the residence halls:
- Hot air popcorn poppers
- Slow cookers/crock pots
- Electric kettles (with enclosed coils and automatic shutoff)
- Can openers
- Hair dryers
- Electric shavers
- Irons (with automatic shutoff)
The following items are not allowed in the residence halls:
- Pets (with the exception of one fish tank that is 5 gallons or less)
- Large refrigerators
- Cooking or heating units with exposed heating elements (such as toasters, hot plates, mini-grills, convection plates, etc.)
- Extension cords
- Sleeper sofas
- Wall-to-wall carpeting
- Electric blankets
- Homemade lofts
- Bed risers (purchased or homemade)
- Candles, incense, and other items that burn
- Halogen lamps
Help the college keep its commitment to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and conserve energy by purchasing Energy Star certified products wherever possible.