Freedom Schools Applications
Please check back in early January for the 2023 Freedom School enrollment form.
Davidson students serve as servant leader interns for Freedom Schools.
The Freedom Schools program was developed by the Children's Defense Fund (CDF) and provides summer enrichment experiences for students in kindergarten through eighth grade. The program fosters a love of reading, increased self-esteem, and positive attitudes towards learning.
Classes are held at the Ada Jenkins Center in Davidson, and students receive two meals and a snack each day. Each year, six Davidson students receive training to serve as servant leader interns for the program, which is grounded in a model curriculum that includes five essential components:
- High quality academic enrichment
- Parent and family involvement
- Civic engagement and social action
- Intergenerational leadership development
- Nutrition, health and mental health.
Through participation in the program, children learn the following:
- Appreciation and knowledge of one's culture engender self-worth and the ability to live in community with others.
- Learning communities offer a sense of safety, love, caring, and personal power needed for transformative education.
- As citizens, children and adults have the power to make a difference in their communities.
Summer 2023 Details
Please check back in early 2023 for details regarding summer 2023 programming.
To apply to be a part of the program, scholars must be in kindergarten through 8th grades. Families can find the online application when it becomes available. Please check back in early January for the 2023 Freedom School application.