Prior to being paid, vendors must be established in Banner. To be established in Banner, a new vendor form must be completed.

Finding Vendor Numbers

Vendor numbers can be found in the VendorLookup report (Davidson login required), which is located in the Self-Service folder of Davidson Reports.

New Vendor Set Up

Verification Steps

Vendor information must be verified prior to being approved.  Verification includes:

  • Confirming that the vendor is not already established
  • Ensuring that the correct vendor form has been submitted and is complete
  • Verifying the tax identification number, if applicable
  • Verifying banking information via AWS or via direct confirmation with vendor
  • For foreign vendors – coordinating tax review to ensure that vendor may be paid and if payment is taxable

In most cases, vendors will be set up within 5 business days.  However, delays in the verification process could result in longer set-up time.

U.S. Businesses or Individuals

If the vendor you will be paying is a Davidson student, faculty, or staff, email and ask for the individual to be set up as a vendor. No additional paperwork is necessary.

If the vendor you will be paying is an external vendor, they must complete the appropriate new vendor request/substitute W-9 Form (Davidson login required). The form will automatically be routed to the New Vendor Request email box and you will be notified once the vendor number has been set up.  

Foreign Businesses or Individuals

Due to complexities surrounding payments to non-U.S. vendors (individuals or businesses, including Davidson students), please contact our Payroll Coordinator (x2461) or our Accounts Payable Coordinator (x2206) as soon as you are aware that you will paying a non-U.S. vendor, even for reimbursement of expenses.

Please refer to the Foreign National Payment Processing Policy (Davidson login required) for additional information.

Out-of-State Vendors and Individuals

Personal services (any compensation paid for providing a service) rendered by non-North Carolina individuals and companies (including non-U.S. vendors) are subject to a four percent withholding under North Carolina law. The North Carolina Department of Revenue (NCDOR) has deemed personal services in connection with the following events to be subject to this four percent withholding: 

  • Performance
  • Entertainment or athletic event
  • Speech (any speech that amuses, entertains, or informs, including instructors at seminars that are open to the public for an admission fee or are for continuing education)
  • Creation of a film, radio or television program

This requirement is applicable to vendors who receive payments in excess of $1,500 from us in a calendar year. Please tell the Accounts Payable Coordinator in advance if the voucher is for a one-time payment under the limit. Reimbursement for expenses is not subject to this withholding.

Non-U.S. citizens are also subject to this tax, unless they are covered by a tax treaty, in which case they are exempt. See the Non-U.S. Citizens  section for more information on tax treaties.

Please contact our Accounts Payable Coordinator at x2206, prior to making payment arrangements, with any questions concerning the withholding requirements for non-North Carolina recipients.

Visit the North Carolina Department of Revenue for more information, including requirements for non-NC residents to file NC tax returns.

Speakers, Performers, Independent Contractors and other Unincorporated Vendors

Federal regulations require us to report payments for services rendered by unincorporated vendors, such as speakers, performers, and contractors. These payments are reported to the IRS via IRS Form 1099-NEC.

We must have a tax identification number (TIN, Employer Identification number or Social Security Number) for each unincorporated vendor. The vendor is required by law to provide us with their correct TIN. We collect this information on the new vendor request/substitute W-9 form. No checks will be issued until this completed/signed form is obtained.

Payments must be made directly to the person/company providing the service. We will not issue payments to third parties.