Accessibility Navigation:

  • Mountains Scott Sellers

    Education abroad is an invaluable opportunity that supplements the Davidson undergraduate experience.

  • Victoria Street in Edinburgh, Scotland

    Victoria Street in Edinburgh, Scotland by Hannah Jordan '13

  • Students on horseback in Granada, Spain

    Granada, Spain by Christine Bell '13

International Studies Interdisciplinary Minor

The International Studies Interdisciplinary Minor complements almost every academic major, allowing you to apply what you've learned in your major to the globalized world we live in. The interdisciplinary minor offers you the opportunity to pursue a coherent multidisciplined program in international studies.

While course work is normally done at Davidson, it is possible—with the approval of the International Education Committee—to receive credit toward the concentration for course work done at other institutions.

The interdisciplinary minor has three components:

Language Proficiency

Standards for meeting the foreign language requirement:

  • Arabic: two courses beyond Intermediate Arabic II (ARB 202)
  • Chinese: two courses beyond Intermediate Chinese II (CHI 202)
  • French:  two courses beyond Oral Expression (FRE 202)
  • German: two courses beyond Introduction to German Literary Studies (GER 250)
  • Russian: two courses beyond Intermediate Russian II (RUS 202)
  • Spanish: two courses beyond Introduction to Hispanic Literature and Cultures (SPA 270)

You must receive grades of "B" or higher.

Course Work

In addition to the language requirement, six courses are required for the concentration:

  • Three courses must be of a general international or multicultural nature.
  • Three courses must relate to one particular geographic area.
  • The six courses must be distributed among at least three departments.
  • No more than two of the courses may be in the student's major.
  • Grade of "C" or higher must be earned in all graded courses applied toward the concentration.
  • At least two of the courses must be at the 300 level or higher.

An International Experience

To complete the interdisciplinary minor you need to spend a summer, semester, or an academic year studying or working outside the United States. You also need to submit a reflective and substantive paper based on your experience abroad to the chair of the International Education Committee by early April of your senior year, according to standards specified by that committee. 

In those cases where financial limitations can't be overcome and prevent an international experience, the International Education Committee may assign a substitute experience.

How to Apply

The application is due on the last day of the late drop/add period of the first semester of your senior year and should be submitted to Prof. Jonathan Berkey.

Additional information about the international studies interdisciplinary minor is available in the College Catalog.

Note: The International Studies Interdisciplinary Minor will be eliminated at the conclusion of the 2018-19 academic year.