How to Apply
Are you interested in applying for an international travel grant? The information below will help you through the application process.
- Read through our website, which includes examples of successful Dean Rusk proposals in every category.
- Speak with the Dean Rusk International Studies Program office and to relevant faculty members and advisors about your goals.
- Please also read the faculty recommender guidelines and give a copy to your faculty recommender. A faculty recommendation is required for research proposals.
We have provided basic guidelines below. You should also refer to the application checklist.
Navigating the Application Process
- Start planning early:
- The earlier you begin planning your experience and working on your proposal, the more likely you will have an impressive project by the application deadline.
- Determine whether your project can be categorized as research, experiential learning, service or a study program.
- Your Dean Rusk grant application will be submitted through Submittable. On the application you will choose a proposal category. If you are in doubt about which category your proposal falls into, please contact the Dean Rusk office.
- Planning process:
- Consider how this project reflects your own intellectual interests, course of study, or your future plans.
- Plan to maximize your exposure to the culture. This is true for every type of grant awarded whether the application focuses on research, experiential learning, service or a study program.
- Talk to advisers and establish promising contacts abroad such as organizations, individuals, or institutions (as needed for the grant).
- Plan a reasonable budget request that accurately presents the project's costs.
- Proofread and edit frequent drafts. We recommended that you ask others to proofread your proposal as well. The writing center is an excellent resource in addition to your faculty advisor.
- Submit an application to the Institutional Review Board if your research application involves human subjects. The IRB application must be submitted one week in advance of the Dean Rusk submission deadline.
- Submit your application on time. October 1st for winter break proposals and February 1st for summer proposals.