Host Family Program
Host families range from single individuals to families with children. They are active members of the community and have a desire to learn more about another culture.
Host families commit to hosting an international student for the duration of their stay at Davidson. This is usually for a four year period. Ideally, families and students should meet at least once a month but keep in contact with each other on a more regular basis.
What are the host family's responsibilities?
- Pick your student up from the Charlotte airport when he/she first arrives
- Bring him/her to the International Student Orientation (in August) at Davidson
- Communicate with your student on a regular basis
- Plan an activity with your student whenever it is convenient
- Invite the student into your home
- Learn about the student's culture and country
- Be a friend to your host student
- Notify the International Student Programs Office if you are unable to continue in the program
- Participate in Host Family events whenever possible
- Host families are not financially responsible for their student
What is the student's role?
- Communicate with his/her family on a regular basis
- Return all phone calls/emails from the host family promptly
- Accept invitations from the host family whenever possible
- Share his/her culture with the host family, and learn from the family about their culture
- Notify the International Student Programs Office if he/she is unable to continue in the program
- Participate in host family events whenever possible
What are some of the host family events?
The International Student Programs Office organizes events for students and their host families. These events are fun opportunities to spend time with your "adopted" student, meet his/her friends, and socialize with other host families. In the past, these events have included:
- Cookouts at the Davidson College Lake Campus
- Family bowling
- Cruise/luncheon on the Catawba Queen
- Charlotte Hornets games
- Charlotte Checkers games
- Carolina Panthers Game
- Lazy 5 Ranch
Want to be a host family?
If you are interested in being a host family for an international student, please complete the Host Family Program Application. Questions may be directed to Carol Sandke at firstname.lastname@example.org, host family program coordinator or Susan Hatchett at email@example.com, International Student Programs, Asst. Director.
Host family applications are due by April 15. By mid to late July, students and families are paired together and emailed each other's contact information.