We've gathered frequently asked questions regarding case management at Davidson.

If you still have questions, please contact the Dean of Students Office.

For Students

What do I do if I need help finding resources on campus and in the community?

You should schedule an appointment with the Assistant Dean of Students & Case Manager in the Dean of Students Office.

For specific counseling and/or therapy service needs, you can call Counseling Services at 704-894-2300 or attend walk-in hours at the Counseling Center, Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m.–5:00 p.m.

I've noticed a change in my overall motivation, and I am finding it difficult to stay on top of my academics. What kind of support is available to me?

Academic Access and Disability Resources (AADR)

Counseling Services

Holistic Advising

Academic Advising

Center for Teaching and Learning

The Assistant Dean of Students & Case Manager in the Dean of Students Office can also help you in understanding resources and options available to you.

What do I do if I need to miss class?

First, you should familiarize yourself with the professor’s class syllabus and course attendance policy and then directly contact your professor/s via email to inform them of your date and reason for absence.  If you are going to be absent for an emergent situation/extenuating circumstance, you can complete a Class Absence Notification Request and the Dean of Students Office can inform your professor/s of your absence.

How can I best communicate with my professor if I am struggling in class?

If you are struggling academically the best thing you can do is speak with your professor sooner rather than later. Initiating a conversation can occur via email, telephone, or in person (after class or during their office hours). It is recommended students attempt to meet with the professor in person or virtually via zoom as to allow for clear and open communication.

I think I’m going to fail a class, what are my options?

Your first course of action is to speak with the professor to inquire about your current standing in the course and ask about any options for making up missed work or any opportunities for extra credit. Other options include:

  • Receive an Incomplete: An incomplete is at the discretion of the professor.
  • Pass/Fail: Should your grade be a C- (P) or below (F1). A pass/fail does not factor into your GPA.
  • Personal Leave: If you are at risk for failing all your classes, you are strongly encouraged to consider taking a personal leave, which will grant you authorized withdrawals from all classes.

Keep in mind, instructors are empowered to fail a student in a particular course where the academic or attendance expectations are not met. It is imperative students understand the expectations of all their courses at the onset of each semester and ask questions and seek support when expectations are unclear or academic challenges arise. Here are some academic resources that can support your academic success at Davidson College:

I don't have enough money for food, what should I do?

The Lula Bell Houston Resource Center supports student success and well-being by increasing access to important resources related to food insecurity, among other needs. Lula Bell's offers a variety of resources available for any current student who needs them. Programming in the space focuses on life skills for all students on topics ranging from financial literacy to systemic social issues. Lula Bell's is designed to feel like a home where everyone is welcome. For information on services and upcoming events at Lula Bell’s, current students should visit their Wildcat Sync portal.

My laptop is not working, and I do not have money to purchase a new one, what should I do?

T&I loans computers to students on a semester basis based on student need and computer availability.

Apply for a Computer Loan

You can also visit Lula Bell's. They also have a significant number of laptops to loan students throughout the academic year.

I would like certain information to be shared with my parents or other individuals with my permission. How can I do this?

Similar to academic records, student records are protected by FERPA, which means we will not share information about you with others without your explicit consent. If you want the Assistant Dean of Students & Case Manager to share certain information with others, you must complete a Release of Information (ROI) Form. This form identifies who you would like us to share information with, what information you would like shared, and for what period of time we are able to share information. Email the Dean of Students office at deanofstudents@davidson.edu to obtain a copy of the Release of Information form.

I have an emergency and I need financial assistance. What is available to me?

SAFE (Student Assistance for Financial Emergencies) Program is available through the Dean of Students Office.

Learn more about SAFE

Learn more about Financial Wellness at Davidson

For Faculty & Staff

How can I identify and respond to a student in distress?

A student who is distressed may seem troubled, confused, severely depressed, highly anxious, and irritable.  Distressed students often lack motivation and/or concentration and may demonstrate bizarre behavior or have suicidal inclinations.

Possible warning signs of a distressed student:

  • A sudden change from passing grades to poor performance
  • Excessive absence from previously consistent attendance
  • Avoidance of participation, anxiety, or dominance of discussions in class
  • Increase or decrease in energy level or sleeping in class
  • Depression, rapid speech, swollen red eyes, or change in personal hygiene
  • Unusual or exaggerated emotional responses that are inappropriate to the situation
  • Highly emotional or repeated requests for special consideration

For students who appear to be distressed, it is appropriate to consider the following responses:

  • Deal directly with the behavior or problem according to established classroom protocol as outlined in the course syllabus
  • Address the situation on a more personal level before or after class, rather than in front of a student audience
  • Consult with a colleague, a department chair, the Assistant Dean & Case Manager, or a professional counselor at the Counseling Center

When should I refer a student to Counseling Services?

Listen carefully to what the student is troubled about and try to see the issue from the student’s point of view without necessarily agreeing or disagreeing. Counseling Services provides free and confidential support for all registered students. 

If the student is receptive, you can suggest calling for a counseling appointment at that moment, or walking the student to the Counseling Center. You may even offer to contact a counselor and provide background information.

If the student appears hesitant, ask them about their fears or concerns about seeing a counselor. Addressing these concerns can help to eliminate barriers to seeking help.

What makes a student disruptive and how should I respond?

A student who meets this criterion may be engaging in conduct that is visibly disruptive or dangerous and may include verbal or physical threats. In some instances, the student may even make active threats of suicide or be resistant to help when offered.

A disruptive student exhibits behaviors that signify an obvious crisis and that necessitate immediate support. These problems are the easiest to identify.  Examples may include but are not limited to:

  • Highly disruptive behavior which may include hostility, aggression toward others, or in serious cases, violent outbursts
  • Garbled or slurred speech with unconnected or disjointed thoughts and rambling
  • Loss of contact with reality such as seeing or hearing things that are not witnessed or heard by others present and may also include holding beliefs or engaging in actions that are not consistent with reality or that a reasonable person would perceive to be probable
  • Stalking behavior or repeated unwelcome advances
  • Inappropriate communications including threatening or intimidating messages, emails, or verbal harassment
  • Suicidal ideations expressed verbally or in class assignments
  • Threat to harm self or others

Responding to a disruptive student

  • Remain calm and know who to call for help if necessary.
  • If possible, find someone to stay with the student and make calls to the appropriate resource.
  • Remember that it is NOT your responsibility to provide professional counsel.
  • Your priority is to connect the student with the resource best suited to address the concern.
  • If a student expresses a direct threat to themselves or others, or acts in a bizarre, highly irrational or disruptive way, contact the Davidson College Police Department or call 911 immediately.

A campus Behavioral Intervention Team exists as a cross-functional team that detects and intervenes in threatening behaviors and situations prior to the emergence of a violent or self-injurious action. Behavioral intervention is a restorative, not a punitive process that takes actions for and not to members of our community who exhibit threatening behaviors. This team collects information (including CARE referrals), investigates reports, and intervenes before a crisis level is reached. Depending on the severity of the disruptive behavior, the BIT may respond, in addition to any applicable CARE or accountability measures.

What happens when I make a CARE referral?

The Assistant Dean & Case Manager will evaluate the referral and determine the appropriate response. In addition, they may collect additional information from the referring party before outreaching to the individuals affected.  The Assistant Dean & Case Manager then takes appropriate action to support the student as well as protect the safety and welfare of the campus community.

Recognizing that individual situations may be unique and sensitive to a variety of student needs, the Case Manager often consults with the CARE (Connection, Advocacy, Resources, Education) Team, where partnerships are established to ensure a coordinated response.  In some cases, the student may simply be referred to a CARE Team member who may have training or skill sets best suited to serve the students’ needs.

Individuals submitting referrals will be notified by a member of the team as to the status of the referral and may be asked to provide additional information or details that could be helpful to the situation or the response.

Why do we need a case manager or a CARE team?

We want to ensure all Davidson students have access to appropriate support as they adjust and succeed. The case manager provides a centralized system of prompt communication, coordination, and response for students in need of further support or at times of distress, and the CARE team serves to further support the mission of Student Life case management. Distress may include but is not limited to: academic, financial or medical concerns, social pressures, personal well-being, or safety and security concerns.