Visa regulations are constantly changing. International Student Programs is available to answer your questions, especially those involving immigration issues, while you are a student. However, please remember that it is your responsibility to maintain your legal status and follow regulations in the United States. 

Maintaining F-1 Status Immigration status is your legal permission to remain in the United States under specific conditions according to specific visa categories. Most international students at Davidson hold F-1 student status. 

Travel International travel requires advance planning and careful attention to details. Most importantly, make sure you have all the required documents with you in order to re-enter the United States.

Employment International students are permitted to work in the United States, though firm immigration regulations apply to all employment options. Any unauthorized employment violates your legal status and compromises your ability to remain in or return to the United States.

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) CPT is an employment authorization available to F-1 students for work experience that is considered an integral part of a student's curriculum or academic program. Learn more about the steps for gaining CPT authorization.

Optional Practical Training (OPT) OPT is an employment authorization most students use to gain work experience in their field of study after graduation. Learn more about the steps for gaining and maintaining OPT authorization.

Taxes and Social Security Every person in the United States who earns money (from a job, from non-qualified scholarship, etc.) must pay income tax and obtain Social Security Number (SSN). The SSN facilitates the reporting of your wages to the government and determines eligibility for Social Security benefits.  

Driver's License and State ID International students should obtain a N.C. state driver's license or state ID card as government identification while studying at Davidson College.