International students are permitted to work in the United States only under firm immigration regulations.
Any unauthorized employment violates your legal status and compromises your ability to remain in or return to the United States.
On & Off Campus Work
- You are automatically eligible to work on campus for Davidson College for up to 20 hours per week during the spring and fall semesters.
- Working for a vendor operating on campus (e.g. Campus Summit) is not allowed.
- You are eligible to work full-time on campus during vacation periods and during the summer session.
- You must receive official work authorization prior to working anywhere off-campus.
- Curricular Practical Training (CPT) can be granted for internship experience within your major field of study. Optional Practical Training (OPT) grants work authorization for one year after graduation (STEM majors are eligible for two additional years).
- You must be in status for two semesters to be eligible for CPT or OPT.
- You will be out of legal F-1 status and ineligible to remain in the U.S. if you work without authorization.
- Work is considered anything for which you are compensated, such as money, food, or room/board. Volunteering may be considered employment as well, so please check with International Student Programs before accepting any position.
Severe Economic Hardship
If something severe and unforeseen happens to your financial situation after you have already been in attendance at Davidson College for at least one year, you may apply for a Severe Economic Hardship (SEH) work permit. Employment on SEH does not have to be related to your major. Schedule a meeting with either the Director or Assistant Director of International Student Programs to discuss this as an option if you think you might be eligible.
Special work permits are also available for F-1 students offered employment with certain international organizations, such as the World Health Organization, International Monetary Fund, etc. Schedule a meeting with either the Director or Assistant Director of International Student Programs to discuss this as an option if you think you might be eligible.