Cultural Arts Outreach
Friends of the Arts gives the office of Davidson Arts and Creative Engagement the opportunity to collaborate with faculty, academic departments and Charlotte arts presenters to enrich arts opportunities for our members and the Davidson community.
Through the generous support of our members, we:
- Create programs, and collaborate with faculty in the visual, performing and literary arts to ensure strong and vibrant arts offerings at Davidson College
- Provide program funding to the Art, Theatre, Dance, Music, English, Film and Media Studies Departments
- Provide creative and collaborative program grants for students, faculty and staff
- Support groundbreaking innovative programs, including the Mural Panel Project by Makayla Binter ‘20, the Outsiders Monologue, the Disorientation Tour, and Watson Walls.
- Facilitate Art Cart Outreach through the Ada Jenkins after school program. Arts Fellows work in partnership with the education staff to develop educational arts activities and programs for their students.
- Collaborate with the Town of Davidson to support programs that include April is for Arts, Art on the Green, and the Davidson Public Art Commission.
Collaborations and Outreach
- Auguste Rodin: Truth, Form, Life, reception with the Art Department
- DBAN and FOTA Reception for the National Black Theatre Festival in Winston Salem, NC
- Urban Bush Women reception with the Smith Artist Series in celebration of Dance at Davidson
- Chick Corea reception with the Music Department
- Cabaret reception with the Theatre Department
- Delfeayo Marsalis reception with the Music Department
- Guys and Dolls reception in celebration of 50 years of theatre at Davidson
- Violinist and composer Daniel Bernard Roumain teaches master classes at Northwest School of the Arts and Ada Jenkins
- Cultural Arts programs at Davidson Elementary School
- Romare Bearden 100th Birthday celebration collaboration with the Mint Museum of Art
- Jersey Boys with the North Carolina Blumenthal Performing Arts Center
- Herb Jackson's exhibition Veronica's Veils–A Retrospective Friends of the Arts reception with the McColl Center for Visual Arts
- Side-by-side performances with the Charlotte Symphony and Davidson College Symphony Orchestra.
For more information, please email Sherry Nelson, director of Davidson Arts and Creative Engagement, at email@example.com or call 704-894-2101.