All documents must undergo accessibility compliance reviews before they are uploaded to websites. Many of the same accessibility requirements that apply to websites also apply to documents.
Document Accessibility Best Practices
- Use built-in headings and a logical heading structure.
- Provide alternate text for all visuals, including images and charts. Avoid displaying text as part of images.
- Provide an appropriate color contrast between text and page background.
- Use a simple table structure, and specify column header information. Avoid split cells, merge cells and nested tables.
- Add meaningful hyperlink text. For example, instead of linking to the text “click here”, include the full title of the destination page. Also, link descriptive text phrases instead of listing long URLs since they are read aloud by screen readers.
- Use bulleted and numbered lists.
The newest versions of Microsoft Office have a built-in accessibility checker. Adobe Acrobat DC, the professional version of Adobe Acrobat, also comes with a built-in accessibility checker and accessibility reporting.
If you plan to export PDF files from Microsoft applications or graphic design applications like Adobe Indesign or Quark, it is strongly recommended that you also understand Adobe Acrobat DC's accessibility checker, accessibility reporting and remediation tools.
Document Accessibility Resources
Microsoft Office Applications
PDF/Adobe Acrobat DC
InDesign allows you to add PDF tags, alt tags, and specify content order in files that stay with document as you revise. In combination with Adobe Acrobat DC tools for a touch-up of exported PDF files, accessibility can be achieved.
Getting Your Document Into Compliance Paid Remediation Services
Getting your documents into compliance with the accessibility standards required for the college (WCAG 2.0) can be a difficult task, even for experienced experts. There are several vendors that will remediate your document for you at a cost-effective price with a turnaround time of a couple of days. You may reach out to these organizations for a price quote for your department's needs.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for additional questions.