Each session of Service Odyssey will include opportunities to serve, learn, and explore the Davidson and greater Charlotte area.
About Service Odyssey
Service Odyssey is an immersive community engagement experience. As a participant, you will have the opportunity to engage in service opportunities with community partners from the Lake Norman and greater Charlotte areas while learning about social issues that impact these communities. Each day, you will critically reflect on service and educational materials related to the social issue in focus. You will also take time to explore cultural attractions in the area and develop relationships with your peers.
June 25-July 1, 2023
- July 16-22, 2023
- August 17-21, 2023*
*International students and students participating in another pre-orientation program will be given priority for session three.
We encourage all students interested in Service Odyssey to register for the lottery as soon as you are able. We will email all students with an update of their placement by 5:00pm on April 10th. If students confirmed into a session of Service Odyssey cancel their registration, we will contact the next student on the waitlist. When we contact you, we will give you a deadline to confirm your new spot.
Fees & Financial Aid
Cost for Sessions 1 and 2: $200
Cost for Sessions 3: $150
Although there is a cost to the Service Odyssey program, we offer financial aid for the cost of the program. Any incoming student receiving financial aid to attend Davidson can receive aid for Service Odyssey.
What to Expect from Your Experience
- Spend several hours each day completing service projects, engaging with community and nonprofit leaders, and learning about important social issues
- Engage with educational materials that deepen our understanding of our issue in focus as we reflect daily on our experiences
- Visit cultural attractions and explore the Lake Norman and Charlotte areas during free time
- Connect with other incoming Davidson students and our returning-student trip leaders
- Lodging facilities are usually local churches or campus facilities where we can gather each evening to cook dinner, play games, and continue building community together. Students usually sleep on the floor in sleeping bags (provided) or cots
If you have questions about Service Odyssey, please send us an email or contact Shane Reilly, Assistant Director for Civic Engagement and Lula Bell's.