Accessibility Tools & Resources
All Davidson websites are required to comply with federal accessibility requirements as defined by the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0 (Level A & Level AA) standards. The latest changes to Section 508 of the U.S. Rehabilitation Act (Refresh) 2017 now follow the WCAG 2.0 standards.
Accessibility Checkers & Tools
There are a number of accessibility checkers, manual checks and screen readers that can be used to check a website's accessibility. Be advised that accessibility checkers typically will only catch 40-50% of issues requiring the use of a couple different tools as well as manual checks.
- WAVE Web Accessibility Evaluation Tool - a free WAVE browser extension is available for Chrome and Firefox. (free)
- Sortsite Checker – each page is checked against more than 700 standards-based checkpoints. (Paid software, 30-day demo available).
- Siteimprove Google Chrome Extension (free)
- Google Chrome Web Developer Toolbar (free)
- Google Chrome Accessibility Developer Tools (free)
- Google Chrome View Image Info (properties) (free)
- Manual review of HTML code (View Source)
- Keyboard Controls/Navigation - manual review of site navigability using only keyboard controls
- JAWS Screen Reader in demo mode (Windows)
- NVDA (Nonvisual Desktop Access) (Windows)
- VoiceOver (Mac)