Service Odyssey 2021 will be a completely virtual experience. The Center for Civic Engagement is excited to offer this opportunity free of charge to incoming students who register by June 15, 2021!
About Service Odyssey
Service Odyssey is an immersive community engagement experience. As a participant in this virtual experience, you will have the opportunity to engage in service opportunities with community partners from the Davidson and the Greater Charlotte area while learning about social issues that impact these communities. Each day, you will critically reflect on service and educational materials related to the social issue in focus. You will also take time to virtually explore cultural attractions in the Davidson and Greater Charlotte area and develop relationships with your peers. As an incoming Davidson student, you can participate in a session of Service Odyssey for free—we will send you everything you need in advance to participate in service and have a great experience!
2021 Service Odyssey Sessions and Themes
- July 7-9 | Housing & Homelessness
- July 15-17 | Education
- July 21-23 | Environmental Justice
- August 4-6 | Food Insecurity
These sessions are available to registered participants of ALL Service Odyssey sessions. You can add one or both of the following sessions to your registration at no additional cost:
- June 30 | Welcome to the Neighborhood
- August 9 | Advocacy and Activism for College Students
Add-on sessions are intended to enhance the experience by providing additional context or applications for the topics covered during your session. Since add-ons are available for people attending any Service Odyssey session, attending an add-on will also allow you to meet more people beyond those attending your specific session.
- Registration Deadline: Tuesday, June 15 at 11 p.m. EST
- You will be able to register for one 3-day session and up to 2 add-on sessions at first. If you are interested in attending more than one 3-day session, you will be able to register for additional 3-day sessions if spots are still available after June 15.
- Last day to cancel registration: Wednesday, June 30 at 5 p.m. Canceling after June 30 will result in a $20 charge to your student account to make up for costs of supplies and postage.
What to Expect from a Virtual Experience
- Prior to your session, you will receive a special care package containing everything you need for service projects and more!
- Spend 2-4 hours daily completing service projects, engaging with community and nonprofit leaders, and learning about the social issue in focus.
- Content will be presented in a variety of formats, including presentations, panels, videos, and independent reading. Similarly, we will provide opportunities for independent reflection, 1:1 or small group discussion, and full group discussion.
- Plenty of breaks will be built into each day. Spend breaks doing things away from your screen, or connect with your assigned “Zoommates” to share a meal or continue discussion.
- Exact schedules are still being finalized, but expect your session to conclude by 2 p.m. EST on the third day.
Please contact Elayna Coleman, Program Coordinator for Civic Engagement, with any questions about Service Odyssey.